Wednesday 8 May 2013

HP’s CURVED BALL THEORY



One quiet Sunday afternoon the front door bell rang, (for the grammar fiends, yes I  do have a bell connected to the back door as well) I answered the door and looked into one of those grins I had come to dread yet had become so accustomed to. It spelled trouble with a capital ‘S’.

Experimental life lessons, coined by HP as ELL’s days, have you ever lived through one of those?
Not?
Wow!
If you haven’t, then you haven’t even begun to live. They could end up in one of two ways; the first, with red flashing lights, the wailing of Ambulance sirens. Folk in blue gray theater overalls rubbing those electrical paddle heart jump machine things together with malicious intent, or, second a quiet evening with a good friend talking over drinks. The name had a possible dual meaning, one, if you were from some part of the UK, one would refer to the fiery place as ‘ell. You know they have a tendency to drop the H when talking of HELL or it could be the total opposite and mean EL as in the name given, on occasion, to the creator.

My heart sank as I looked at HP and wondered which ending this day would bring.

He started to babble before I could invite him in,
‘You got you help me!’
‘With what?’
‘My experiment.’
‘What experiment?’
‘umm…’ he hesitated for a while
‘I suppose one could call it the CBT.’
‘CBT?’
‘Yes, curved ball theory!’
HP always had this look of slight disbelief on his face when he had to explain himself to me. He seemed to think we were singing form the same song sheet with everything in life.
I hesitated for a fraction too long, HP rolled his eyes and proceeded to elaborate on his CB Theory, most of which was way beyond me. You need to understand, I had to buy the ‘String Theory for Dummies’ book to even understand what the term meant let alone understand the theory. HP eventually realised that I was definitely not on the same planet as he was let alone the same song sheet. After he eventually calmed down, I managed to first get him to have a cup of coffee and out line the experiment for me before we set of the park to put it into practice. What it boiled down to was standing at one end of the park and having round objects thrown at me.

Now I need to explain something to you first, I regard myself as a person with …well… an average intelligence. (Ok some folk would argue different but we won’t go there now. ) When I heard the explanation of the infamous experiment, I was a little concerned to say the least. I likened it to repeatedly walking into a wall with ones eyes open and smiling while you do it and not only that one smiles while saying thank you to the wall for the experience.
This is where the argument about my average intelligence comes in. I know for a fact that if I was an intellectual I would find some excuse for the relevance of the extreme activity and how it would benefit society in the long term. Added to which how my sacrifice in all this could be justified as some morally acceptable collateral damage. On the other hand an individual that is challenged in any way would look at it as a fun activity, make sure there was a BBQ afterwards and as much alcohol available for consumption to numb the pain.

Right there is the rub, enter average intelligence, I am not challenged enough to want a BBQ and see it as fun and I am not overly concerned how it would benefit society. I am however really concerned how it would effect me and my immediate plans to stay relatively healthy.

Yes, you guessed it, not an hour later and we were in the park, me on one end and him on another. Him with ten or so coconut looking objects beside him and me with a knot in my stomach and wondering in if my insurance had hospital cover. The task assigned to me sounded simple enough; I had to try to dodge the incoming coconuts thrown at me. If I managed to dodge them, I had to inspect the offending missile and its contents.

Ok, so according to HP’s CB Theory the steps to avoid this in life were as follows;
One, duck or dodge,
Two, wait for a while,
Three, watch it hit the ground,
Four, wait again until it rolled to a stop,
Five, after closer inspection I must notice the coconut is filled with a coconut milk cocktail mix.
Six, after consumption you realise it tastes good, you feel good and whatever bothered you about life didn’t make much difference anyway.

HP’s experiment proved two things, his six step CB Theory works and I am still of average intelligence, I was still in the middle of BBQs, fun and alcohol, and doing something for the good on mankind…


No comments:

Post a Comment

-- main --